Monday, October 13, 2008

The Rumney Racetrack



First, I want to say that I'm sorry about not getting more onto this page this summer. It's been very busy, and for once that very-busy-ness has not included racing. Also, I've been frustrated about not having pictures to go with the really old, boring stories that I'd like to post here. So, I'm just going to post them without the pictures.

But I didn't start this entry so you could listen to me whine. This is about a changing of the guard that I'm hearing about at what I proudly consider my home track, the Legion Speedway. In spite of the fact that it is actually located within the town of Wentworth, NH it is always referred to as The Rumney Racetrack. American Legion Post #66, the Lamont/Haley post, has been the owner of the land it rests on since right after the invention of dirt. My father was a member of that post when they cleared the land and opened the track in 1961, and he was the first track announcer. My mom was in the Ladies' Auxiliary and worked in the snack shack.

For the last three years the Post has taken over management of the facility once again under the leadership of their Commander, Bob Ayer, known affectionately to his friends as B. A. I have been hearing that BA is stepping down as managing director of the track, and I just want to take the opportunity to wish him and Post 66 well. I think they've done a great job of getting a great track back up and running. And they've done just about all of it with volunteer help!

They have tried very hard to be family-friendly, fan-friendly, and racer-friendly all at the same time. They've put a lot of hard work into improving the facility, and at the same time have managed to turn enough of a profit to be able to do some very good work in the community. Don't forget, this is the only racetrack around that is owned and operated by a non-profit organization. Like a church, or a grange, or an Elks lodge, they pour the money they make back back into their mission. In their case, it's to help local veterans and also doing things like Christmas baskets for underpriviliged families. Some organizations do these works with bake sales or suppers. Post 66 does it with car racing.

I don't know what the future of the track will be. I've heard a lot of rumors but I won't speculate on them here. I can understand why BA and the post might feel a little burnt out. For the last three years they've all busted their collective kiesters to give us a good show. I hope the good Lord will grant them wisdom as they contemplate their future.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Legion Speedway

Anonymous said...

what is the lease $ like does anyone know? I would love to run it or help someone run it for the summers

r said...

Click the link for Legion Speedway on the sidebar and you can contact them.

Anonymous said...

lease $ is all the profit for the year plus YOU do the work, the repairs and the improvements needed

TSuitor said...

Hi Rick. I sent an email to you with Dirt Track NH in the subject line. We visited RattleSnake last weekend and really enjoyed it. The track sure has an interesting history.

Anonymous said...

Well "R" it looks as if the good Lord (or anyone else for that matter) didn't grant them any wisdom or common sense either whith the decision only 11 "regular division" cars in the pits on saturday

Anonymous said...

I took my family to your track this past weekend.. I have not attended this track in almost 6 years. And it still looks the same as it did back then.. The bleachers are falling apart. My Father whom has bad hips stepped on a board and it went all the way to the ground...I have been to may dirt tracks from Alaska to Florida, I have to say that this is the worse. A little paint, new lumber for the seats, clean up the infield a little.. You could have yourself a little gold mine.. IF you cleaned it up a little you might clean out some of the local drama, I listen to a girl maybe in her 20's use the F bomb 6 times in one sentance all directed to a flag man, who was a volunteer.. I am a girl truck driver and have a mouth on me, but nothing like that.. Just some hits, I have seen alot of racers go to tracks and donate there time to clean them up and local business also donated items, but you have to be a driver and go ask them..Lots of hardwere stores will donte lumber that may not be the best but it is better then what is there now, and the will also donate paint..

Anonymous said...

Maybe the place will come back to life afterall with a new and capable management team in place,.

Anonymous said...

what is the name of motordrome race track now in 2010???
do they have a website????

Anonymous said...

The new name is Big Daddys Speedbowl,
the web site is

http://www.bigdaddysspeedbowl.com/

lots of discussion about it on

http://racersvoice.com/forum/